Monday, 14 March 2011

Missed Connection

Flash Fiction take three, challenge by that Wendig guy over at terribleminds again. My stories for these seem to be getting shorter and shorter, must try and write closer to a thousand words for the next one. Oh and look, not fantasy for a change.

Missed Connection


I see her walking down the hall again, stocking clad legs between spike heels and a skirt just a little too short to be decent. Gorgeous, elegant legs, I'm probably staring again. I try to tell myself that I'm only wishing I had legs like that, but I'm not sure I believe me.
Her eyes glide over me as she passes, I wonder what she sees, ordinary face, plain clothes, does she pity me? envy me? maybe she doesn't think about me at all, maybe she's just checking I don't have a knife.
I listen to the sound of her footsteps click clicking their way towards the elevator, I want to turn round, introduce myself, ask her name. Does she use her real name? does she have a professional name? something like Candy or Sugar. I've probably watched too much television if I'm thinking that. In my imagination she's grateful for someone to talk to, someone who understands that she's more than just a reflection of other's fantasies. Except that's me projecting my own lonely fantasy right there, isn't it?
I hear the lift doors open. I turn to look. She's standing in the lift, beautiful, glamorous. Just for an instant our eyes meet. My heart skips, confusing me in ways I have no idea how to deal with. For a moment everything seems to hang in the balance, if I could only speak the right words, some kind of password to a different life, but the doors slide shut. The connection is lost.

6 comments:

  1. I liked it a lot. I liked how it reflects the inner thought process when looking at someone, how our prejudices speak to us, how we try to put them down, and so on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting peek at what goes on in the mind when we look at each other. At times, we look way beyond the surface, try to visualize that person's opinions and lifestyle, all in just a few seconds. It's weird, but I know we all do that sometimes. I enjoyed this very much. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this little snapshot. It doesn't need to be a thousand words, it's just right the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect length for the story it tells. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write such encouraging comments, am glad that this story continues to entertain, short as it is.

    ReplyDelete