Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Blood Roses

It's been a while since I did any flash fiction hasn't it? All right it's been a while since I've posted anything at all, it's been even longer since I did any flash fiction. Anyway I recently found this Trifecta challenge thing, I've decided I like it. Mostly I like the whole concept of using a single word as a story prompt, a single word with a specific meaning. The level of abstraction of that appeals to me (turns out my muse is some kind of anthropomorphic dictionary). Not saying that any of the other forms of story prompt out there are bad, the pictures and the titles and the write about this topics and what have you, just I like this one.

The following story is based on the word 'Death' defined as 'the destroyer of life represented usually as a skeleton with a scythe'.



Blood Roses


A slender man walks through a crowded room. People he has never met part before him like a sea of costumed colour while he wears black. He passes a mirror and in the reflection his bone white flesh is merely bone.

A locked door does not hinder him and in the muffled hush beyond a staircase spirals. A trail of roses leads him on, deep red for love but these were white before someone steeped each petal in fresh blood. He takes each bloom as he reaches it, raises it to his face the scent as sweet as perfume to him.

At the top of the stairs is a passage, at the end of the passage a door. The door stands open, shifting slightly to and fro in a breath of wind. In the room beyond, a girl lies mangled on the bed. Her dress, like the roses was pure white once, now stained with crimson.

He watches the knife drop from her fingers, hears her last breath falter and fade. He senses her life seep out of every self-made wound, knows her last warmth is for him alone. In love with Death, she dies to be with him.

8 comments:

  1. well done! i loved the rose imagery as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tragic - And a surprise to see the girl in the room - Loved the images of the blood-steeped roses; loved the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! In love with Death... It made me think of a scene in a movie - as if its part of a screenplay. I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and dark. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was very movie-esque! I'd like to know what happens next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice twist on the prompt. Thanks for linking up. We hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the supportive comments, glad you seem to have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete